Monday, March 9, 2009

Just Visiting - Nancy Sparling






Short Story Title: Just Visiting

Author: Nancy Sparling
Book: American Girls About Town
Rating: 5 out of 5 horses


First Line:

"'You didn't.' I say, gripping the phone so tightly my knuckles turn white. I must have misheard her. My mother wouldn't have told those tow they could stay at my place. She wouldn't do that to me."

This is a story about Danni - who has moved to London after her fiance Tom married Susie - 2 weeks before Tom and Danni's wedding. And to add insult to injury purchased the house that Danni loved for him and Susie. A real winner huh?!

Now Danni's Mom has invited Kim (Tom's sister) and Michelle to Danni's for a 2 week visit. What Danni's Mom doesn't know is that Danni has been lying about her life in London - the great apartment she lives in is actually the home of one of the dogs that she walks and the gorgeous boyfriend is actually a client she has never met.

So now Danni has to hide her lies from Kim and Michelle so they take news to her small town that she is doing great. In the middle of one of her lies she meets a handsome man who helps her with her lies and it seems wants to take her out on a date!

A quote I liked:

"They should put us a warning signs on the highway at the edge of town. Beware: you are now entering a high-gossip area. Before taking any action, you should first stop and think, What will people say? Or, even better, WWPS bracelets should be handed out at birth and worn at all times. (263)"

I have lived in several small towns and this is SOO true!

I would like to read more of this author.

1 comment:

John Mutford said...

To be fair, if people in small towns gossip more, it's simply that they know more people. I think it's human nature.