Monday, March 9, 2009

I Know a Woman - Quinn Dalton (short story)









Short Story Title: I Know a Woman
Author: Quinn Dalton
Book: American Girls About Town
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 horses

First Line:

"Let's call her Judy. I like the simple names that sound as if they could belong to your next-door neighbor or the mother of your best friend in the second grade."

This story is about a woman and her husband Dennis. They work together and there is a woman in the office who is discovered to be a stripper. The couple goes to see Judy strip...which seems to be the beginning of the end of their marriage...Dennis soon has an affair (not with Judy). The main character divorces him and takes half of the company. She then crashes parties and is busted out of a Millionaire's dinner by Neil. This is where we hear the details of the demise of the marriage.
Review
I really liked this story and would like to read more by Quinn Dalton. I liked the way the story connected to Judy and the things that happened to her and her daughter and how it doesn't reveal everything at the beginning.
Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time with the story teller's name in short stories? I am not sure if some of them are not called by their names or if it just happens so infrequently that I miss it. It's very frustrating for me!

No comments: