Sunday, August 23, 2009

How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff


Rating: 4

Pages: 194


Challenges: New Author, Read Your Own Books, Dewey Recommended, Young Adult, 2009 From the Stacks, 20 in 2009, Award (PRITZ)

Synopsis (and picture from BN.com)



“Every war has turning points and every person too.”

Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she’s never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy.

As power fails, and systems fail, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it’s a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy’s uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way.

A riveting and astonishing story.

Review
I really enjoyed this story. And was happy the end had a epilogue because I thought it ended abruptly. This was one of Dewey's favorites and after she posted about it I got the book from bookmooch, so it was good to read it!

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Cool blog! I just stumbled upon it and I love how you are reviewing each book. Very nicely done!

Daily Dose of Diane said...

I love your rating system. I plan on sharing it with my book club!!