Sunday, March 1, 2009

Andromeda on the Street of Ducklings - Judi Hendricks (Short Story)









Short Story Title: Andromeda on the Street of Ducklings
Author: Judi Hendricks
Book: American Girls About Town
Rating: 5 out of 5 horses

First Line:

"It's eleven o'clock on a Tuesday morning in May, and I'm Standing on Boulevard St. Germain des Pres in front of the beautiful old church of the same name. My suitcase sits next to me on the sidewalk and my daypack is slung over my back. I'm vaguely aware that tears are leaking out of my eyes and rolling down my face."

This is a story of getting through grief. Andy has lost her soul mate 1 month before they are supposed to get married. He passed away in a motorcycle accident. After having problems dealing with her grief and the 1 year anniversary of Evan's death she spontaneously decides to take a trip to Paris.
While in Paris she stays at a bed-n-breakfast run by Pauline. Andy and Pauline become friends and Pauline helps Andy get through her grief like none of her friends have been able to do.
I really enjoyed the writing and the characters of this story. I want to know more about what happens with Andy and Pauline and if they stay friends. I also like how the title works into the story. I love that when stories guide you to why it is titled the way it is. I feel like it's a mystery solved. I highly recommend this story. I have Bread Alone by Judi Hendricks so I am eager to start reading it!

1 comment:

Thoughts of Joy said...

Hi Darcie! How's the family doing? Everybody adjusting okay? :)