Thursday, January 24, 2008
A lyrical, character-driven novel about a single mother who struggles to save her troubled young son and finds help in the most unexpected place.
Sidney Walker should have married her ex-boyfriend Jack when she had the chance, then maybe her teenage son, Tyson, wouldn't be under house arrest for attempted robbery. Her retired neighbor, Bradbury, has stepped in temporarily to watch Tyson while she's at work, but Sidney needs to make a permanent change. She knows what Tyson needs is a father, and though she's attracted to the deputy sheriff involved in his case, Jack wants to get back together and would make a far better parent. As autumn rolls across the landscape, Sidney must decide between doing what's best for her children and following her heart.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
My first Challenge complete and a few days early too!! Whoo hoo! I had a great time reading for this challenge and as you can see from my blog I have gone challenge crazy!! Here are the details on From the Stacks challenge.
1. The Negotiator (Dee Henderson) - Finished Jan-08
2. The Alphabet Sisters (Monica McInerney) - Finished Nov-07
3. Seven Loves (Valerie Tureblood) - Finished Dec-07
4. Hunger Moon (Suzanne Matson) - Finished Nov-07
5. Raising Hope (Katie Willard) - Finished Jan-08
I liked all of them but Seven Loves. I send all my books to my friend Patty in China, so she is thrilled I have been reading books that I own!! :) But I am sorry to say that doing the challenge did not stop me from purchasing more books. I found Paperback Swap and got several used books. Oh well...
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
~ align the author's last name or the title of a book (excluding "the", "a", etc.) with its corresponding letter in the alphabet
~ enter a different book for each author and title (total of 52 books)
~ complete the alphabet lists anyway that suits your fancy
(i.e.: complete each list separately in alphabetical order, read both "A" entries, then "B" entries, fit whatever you're reading into either list, etc.)
~ complete the challenge in the year 2008
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Challenges: A-Z Challenge (Title W)
When you start this book you think it is going to be about the Wilde Sisters (Kat and Pearl) who are not speaking because Pearl caught Kat sleeping with her fiance Bourne, but the book is also about the characters of the town. Pearl comes back to town to get revenge on her sister and to shake things up. And boy does she...
I really liked this book and all the people it introduced. I like how Pearl changed the town and the town changed her too. And how sometimes things are not as they appear.
I really liked both Kat and Pearl and a lot of the other characters in the town. This is one of those books you hope there is a second book telling about what happened to all the characters. I also really enjoyed the Rock Orchard by Paula Wall.
Sunday, January 13, 2008
- I have to read 4.1 books a month
- I have 7 days to read a book
So I am behind. I should be finishing my 2nd book tomorrow! Yikes! I am in the process of listening to 2 books on CD, so I think I might still be able to catch up...I better get it going so I can!
Last year there was a read-a-thon in October...I will have to read for the whole 24 hours to catch up. I have already warned my husband that I want to get a hotel room for this weekend. :) LOL! That will be the only way my 1 year old will let me read for more than 10 minutes!! :) But she is a joy. Today she is into everything!! She loves taking lids off of things and exploring what happens when she dumps things out...oatmeal...vaseline...you get the idea!! I have come to terms with the fact that my house will be a disaster for a while! Now just to get more time for reading....I think the writers strike will help me since all the shows will be repeats!
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Thursday, January 10, 2008
I am looking forward to the book discussion...our first meeting won't be until March.
Monday, January 7, 2008
So Many Books, So Little Time is hosting a Chukster Challenge. Since I already have several books that qualify for Chunksters I thought I would join this. It will help inspire me to read the big books and not blow them off for the quicker reads. Here are the details:
*To qualify the book must be 450 pps regular type OR 750 pps large text.
*You must read FOUR chunksters (one each quarter), you OBVIOUSLY may read more
*The Challenge will run Jan 7th, 2008 - Dec 20th, 2008 (the only chunky thing occupying my mind over Christmas is ME! AND I am using my foresight remembering my inbox on Dec 31st/ Jan 1 of THIS year when all the challenges ended). BUT any chunkster started after Jan 1 qualifies.
*OH THERE WILL BE PRIZES - one a quarter. Prizes to be determined later ( so making the rules on the fly here, peeps). Think small and fun, not big and chunky.
*Sharing reviews mandatory, format still to be determined.
*Join by leaving me a WEE comment. I will work on a list of active participants to be shared here. There is a sign-up deadline of March 1st, so tell your friends and neighbors but only until then.
So what are my books?
1. Voyager – Diana Gabaldon (Also TBR challenge)
2. Drums of Autumn – Diana Gabaldon (Also Themed Reading Challenge)
3. For the Roses - Julie Garwood (Also 1st Series Challenge)
4. Change of Heart – Jodi Picoult (Reading Full Circle Challenge)
Saturday, January 5, 2008
I decided to join Thoughts of Joy's First in a Series Challenge. Here are the rules:
- Read 12 books that are the first in any series (new authors not required)
- You may read your chosen books any time during the year; however, most plan to read one a month
A lot of people selected mysteries...these aren't my favorite books so I have searched Amazon for 1sts and here is what I came up with.
- Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke (Love Comes Softly Series)
- The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini (Elm Creek Series)
- The Negotiator by Dee Henderson (O’Malley Series)
- Dakota Born by Debbie Macomber (Dakota Series)
- High Country Bride - Linda Lael Miller (The McKettrick Series)
- Land of my Heart by Tracie Peterson (Heirs of Montana)
- Cape Refuge by Terri Blackstock (Cape Refuge Series)
- The Texan's Touch by Jodi Thomas (Texas Brothers Trilogy)
- To Love and to Cherish by Patricia Gaffney (Wyckerley Trilogy)
- For the Roses by Julie Garwood (Clayborne Series)
- Shameless by Karen Robards (Banning Sisters Trilogy)
- A Great and Terrible Beauty – Libba Bray (book 1) (YA)