Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman


Rating: 3 Don’t bet on this one…wait for the movie (···)
Pages: 299
Challenge: 1st in a Series
Synopsis (from BN.com)
The action follows 11-year-old protagonist Lyra Belacqua, accompanied by her daemon, from her home at Oxford University to the frozen wastes of the North, on a quest to save kidnapped children from the evil 'Gobblers,' who are using them as part of a sinister experiment. Lyra also must rescue her father from the Panserbjorne, a race of talking, armored, mercenary polar bears holding him captive. Joining Lyra are a vagabond troop of gyptians (gypsies), witches, an outcast bear, and a Texan in a hot air balloon.
Review
I thought this book was ok. I went in with some preconceived notions that I don't think helped the book and was really expecting it to be better. I thought it was too violent for the age range. I think it will be interesting to see the movie, but I don't think I will be reading any of the other books in the series. Amazing I figured I would have to read all the books of all the series!

1 comment:

trish said...

I haven't read the third book, but the second book is definitely better!