Friday, December 28, 2007

The Persian Pickle Club - Sandra Dallas


Rating: 3 Don’t bet on this one…wait for the movie (···)
Pages: 196
Synopsis (from BN.com)
It is the 1930s, and hard times have hit Harveyville, Kansas, where the crops are burning up, and there's not a job to be found. For Queenie Bean, a young farm wife, a highlight of each week is the gathering of the Persian Pickle Club, a group of local ladies dedicated to improving their minds, exchanging gossip, and putting their quilting skills to good use. When a new member of the club stirs up a dark secret, the women must band together to support and protect one another. In her magical, memorable novel, Sandra Dallas explores the ties that unite women through good times and bad.
This is a book I have been reading and putting down for a while. I like it and am glad that I finished it, but its not a book that will be on my highly recommend list. If I couldn't put it down I would recommend it more. This book is about a group of women who quilt. There is also a mystery thrown in when one of the women's husbands shows up buried in a field. The town had thought he had run off. So one of the new members writes a newspaper article and tries to solve the mystery. It's a quick easy read - and short.
I have also read "The Diary of Matte Spenser" and liked it much better, so if you want to read a book by Sandra Dallas I would recommend this one. I also will soon be reading Tall Grass and I have "Alice's Tulips" in my TBR pile, so check back later for other Sandra Dallas reviews.

No comments: