Friday, November 2, 2007

Fortune Quilt – Lani Diane Rich

Type: Fiction
Rating: ääää
272 pgs

Synopsis
Carly McKay's life is going just fine until she produces a television piece on psychic quilt maker Brandywine Seaver and receives a quilt with an enigmatic reading telling her that everything is about to change. And it does. She loses her job and her best friend (who proclaims his unrequited love for her). And her mother, who deserted the family seventeen years ago, returns, sending Carly into a serious tilt.

Convinced it's the quilt's fault, Carly races down to the small artists' community of Bilby, Arizona, to confront its maker, and ends up renting a cabin from her. Carly even starts to enjoy her re-imagined life, until her old life comes calling. Now Carly has to decide what parts of each world she wants to patchwork in...and how much she's willing to leave to fate. (From BN.com)

What led you to pick up this book? The Novella Café book club had this as one of it’s possible books. It looked good so I reserved it from the library.

Summarize the plot, but don’t give away the ending! Carly is given a quilt with a fortune reading of things that are going to happen in her life. It’s not straight forward as in “You will loose your job and move” more along the lines of “take the taxi.” As her life is falling apart she re-invents a new life.

What did you like most about the book? It was an easy, fast read that kept me entertained. I really liked the characters. Brandywine (the quilter) was so laid back and easy going. I liked the fact that she made quilts and may not have me the person who she was making the quilt for. Carley’s quilt was made many years before she actually met her. I also liked the that quilt had pieces in it that would soon have significance…like frogs (she was later given a frog who helped revive a career).

What did you like least? There were a few characters that I would like to have seen developed more. There is an artist that comes into a shop that is her inspiration for a story. I would have liked to have heard more about what made him the way he was.

Have you read any other books by this author? What did you think of those books? I haven’t read any books by this author, but I would read other books by her.

What did you think of the main character? I thought she was very likeable and interesting. I liked her not accepting the mother that abandoned her and how she came to terms with this. I liked the general theme of forgiveness.

Share a favorite scene from the book. There are several scenes that I liked from this book. I liked the opening scene where the Carley McKay ex-fiancé crashes her sister’s wedding thinking the Carley is getting married. Also, Carley doesn’t approve of her Dad taking back the Mom who abandoned them 15 years earlier. I liked that because I thought it was true to her character – and how a majority of people would have reacted.

No comments: